السبت، 18 يناير 2014

Two Poems ... قصيدتان لـ توماس سترينز إليوت


The Love-Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

By T.S. Eliot



  For I have known them all already, known them all
Have known the evenings, mornings, afternoons,                      
I have measured out my life with coffee spoons
I know the voices dying with a dying fall
Beneath the music from a farther room.  
?So how should I presume


  And I have known the eyes already, known them all
The eyes that fix you in a formulated phrase,
And when I am formulated, sprawling on a pin;
When I am pinned and wriggling on the wall;
Then how should I begin
To spit out all the butt-ends of my days and ways?                    
  ?And how should I presume


  And I have known the arms already, known them all
Arms that are braceleted and white and bare
[But in the lamplight, downed with light brown hair!]
Is it perfume from a dress?
That makes me so digress?
Arms that lie along a table, or wrap about a shawl.
  And should I then presume?
 ? And how should I begin


**************************************



Morning at the Window

  by: T. S. Eliot (1888-1965)




They are rattling breakfast plates in basement kitchens

And along the trampled edges of the street

I am aware of the damp souls of housemaids

Sprouting despondently at area gates


The brown waves of fog toss up to me
Twisted faces from the bottom of the street
And tear from a passer-by with muddy skirts
An aimless smile that hovers in the air
And vanishes along the level of the roofs

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق